I’ve been on a quest recently to eat more healthfully, boost my metabolism, lose weight and still have energy for my family and work. On this quest I’ve been reading up on many different programs that all seem to transform your body and life, like Paleo and Young & Raw. While I’m not yet ready to make a complete commitment to these extreme lifestyle changes, I’m learning a lot about the healthy, healing nutrients found in nature, nutrients our bodies crave. I’m also much more aware of what I’m putting into my body and my children’s bodies, because as the saying goes, ‘you are what you eat’.
I recently came across some Detox Smoothies from YoungAndRaw.com and while I haven’t yet made many of their smoothies, mainly due to lack of available ingredients on my end, their recipes gave me the idea for a Detox Smoothie of my own. It seems the secret detox ingredients are both Coconut Water and Cilantro. I’ve added Chia seeds, ground vanilla beans and greek yogurt to the mix for added energy, protein and sweetness. I make a double portion in the morning and have it for breakfast. I leave the rest in my fridge for a late afternoon healthy snack to give me energy right before my kids pile home. Its also a great healthy afterschool snack for the little ones, especially if you mix it with ice and make it a frozen treat. Its filling, healthy and tasty! Go ahead and get creative and use some or all of these ingredients, mix in your own favorite fruits and vegies and make up your own Smoothie! The key remember is to remember how healthy, tasty and beneficial natural fruits and vegetables can be!
Strawberry-Banana-Mango Detox Energy Smoothie
1 frozen banana
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup mango
1 handful fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon of Chia Seeds (here’s the link to the Kosher brand I get from Amazon)
1 Tablesopoon of plain Greek Yogurt (I use Chobani brand but I understand from my visit to Kosherfest this year that Norman’s and Mehadrin have Chalav Yisrael Greek Yogurt coming out on 2013). You can also substitute Coconut milk here.
1 cup Coconut Water. You can substitute Coconut milk, almond milk, or rice milk if you find the flavor of coconut water too much to handle.
Place all ingredients in a blender and mix on high for 30 – 60 seconds. Enjoy!
Natural Health properties of the Ingredients:
1. Cilantro Detoxes heavy metals from the blood and also helps to naturally combat PMS symptoms.
2. Vanilla contains high levels of antioxidants and benefits the nervous system working as a relaxant.
3. Mango can help clear pores.
4. Bananas are a natural mood booster – they contain tryptophan which triggers a serotonin release in the brain.
5. Coconut water replenishes the body with electrolytes!
6. 1 tablespoon of Chia seeds contains 1.7 grams of protein, 4.2 grams of carbohydrates, 3.1 grams of fat (1.8 grams of that is Omega 3).
7. Coconut milk is known to assist the body in absorbing calcium and magnesium, making it a wonderful milk and yogurt alternative for anyone who wants to build and maintain strong, healthy bones.
8. Just a hand full of Strawberries will serve you up more Vitamin C than an orange, as well as trace amounts of B Vitamins and a high dose of Manganese.