In honor of Amazon’s Gluten-Free month, try this dairy free, delicious recipe of brownie, cake, coffee and custard that comes from Chef Miriam Pearl of Delicious Without Gluten-Free living . It is verasatile and can be made to any size…..Follow these steps and make your own creation!
Don’t forget to check out Amazon’s great sales & deals on Gluten-Free products going on now.
You will need…..
• Gluten-free Brownies enough to fill bottom of pan (recipe below)
• Gluten-free Marble cake or sponge cake cut in thin layers
• Dairy free custard (recipe below)
• Coffee syrup (recipe below)
115g (4 oz) bittersweet baking chocolate cut into small pieces
3/4 cup of parve (non dairy) margarine(170g)
2 cups sugar
1 cup Gluten free flour mix (I use Better Batter®, but any will work)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
In a big saucepan, place chopped chocolate and margarine and melt at low temperature and whisk until all dissolved. Move pan away from heat.
Once luke warm, add eggs and vanilla and whisk in. If chocolate is too hot, the eggs will cook, so make sure your chocolate is cooled down enough. Batter should get thicker. Add dry ingredients into the wet and continue to whisk together by hand. Use spatula to scrape down bowl. Empty thick batter into an 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper and some cooking spray. This will make a thick brownie. If you desire thinner brownies, use a larger pan. Bake at 325 for 35-40 min. Check if done by using a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean or atleast not raw or liquidy. If making with larger size pan, you will need to decrease time. This recipe doubles well. If you double it, use a 9″x13″ pan.
Once brownie is ready, let cool for an hour and then place into freezer. Once frozen, remove brownie with parchment paper. You can wait a few moments to allow for easier cutting. Squares will be straight and clean using this method. If you want to store brownies in freezer until ready to eat, place each square or portion in plastic wrap and then you can store in your freezer. Take out an hour before you plan to eat. They are fabulous cold, so don’t be shy to keep them in the refrigerator until ready to eat!
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup granualted sugar
1 cup or 225 g non-dairy cream
1 cup non-dairy whipped cream
1 tsp vanilla or liquor
Beat egg yolks & sugar with a paddle attachment in your mixer until very light in color – almost white & fluffy. Beat in cream cheese and vanilla to the mixture. In separate bowl with a whisk attachment, beat whipped cream until it is fluffy and light. Add to egg mixture and continue beating until custard is stiff. The
custard freezes well, but will need to be beat again if taken out of freezer.
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon instant coffee (or more for stronger taste)
1 cup sugar
Dissolve coffee in hot water in a small saucepan over heat. Add sugar until mixture is heated through and sugar is dissolved. Take off heat and cool. This mixture can be bottled in fridge for several weeks.
1. Take any size pan with a high edge. I like to use a loaf pan. Line it with parchment paper. Fill the bottom with brownie squares so that there are no spaces and tightly packed to the edge. Don’t worry if you see lines.
2. Using a pastry brush, brush the brownie top with coffee syrup. Spread a layer of custard on top.
3. Cut vanilla or marble cake in slices and arrange pieces in one layer on top of custard. Once again, pack it in so that edges are filled.
4. Using a pastry brush, brush the cake with a generous amount of coffee syrup. Spread a layer of cream on top.
5. Repeat step 3 and 4 one or two more times until close to the height of your pan.
6. Spread last layer of cream on top. Using a straight or rippled edge, run knife flush over top of pan to get a clean finish.
7. Freeze the cake. After an hour, you can run hot water on a knife and run through sides of pan between cake and parchment paper. Place back in freezer for a few hours. Freezing the cake makes it easier to take the cake out of pan.
8. Pull out the parchment paper and remove cake from pan. You can cover sides with cream for decoration if you like. You can also dust top with cocoa powder using a sifter or top with cookie crumbs. This dessert freezes well. Take out an hour before you want to eat it.
9. Let sit in refrigerator until ready to eat.